Thursday, August 9, 2007

Out of the mouths of babes

Today I decided we’d go to the shops to pick up a few bits and pieces. Brock had been asking about a specific board game for months and for some reason on the way to the shopping centre today he bought it up again. I reminded him that we’d put it on his list for Santa (along with the other hundred toys that have taken his fancy over the year). He started a mini tanty and to stop him continuing I said we’d look at BigW and see if they had it, knowing they wouldn’t.

So we looked and of course couldn’t find it. So the little ratbag starts rattling off all the places that we should go to in search of this game. Something else caught his attention and talk of the game stopped and I secretly hoped that we would hear about it again. On the way back to the car he bought it up again, asking if we could visit this store and that store on the way home, as if it was a matter of life and death. So bravely I said ‘No, I think we’ll leave it for Santa to try to find’. Well that did it, he decided to chuck a big wobbly in the car park and when I refused to cave in he shouts at me with these big crocodile tears in his eyes and his bottom lip out ‘I want my Daddy’. I’ve been getting this line a lot lately so in a very calm voice I told him that was fine, that Daddy’s work was just around the corner I’d take him there, ‘Good’ was all I got in return.

I’d rung DH to forewarn him of what was about to happen. When we walked into his office there we a couple of others in with him. Once we’d been introduced DH turns to Brock and says ‘So tell me what’s the matter with you?’. Without a second thought, he announces clearly and concisely, in the most clear and matter-of-fact tone, ‘Mummy’s cracked the shits with me’. I nearly died!!! DH and his colleagues thought it was hilarious, one even left the room to get someone else who promptly asked Brock again what mummy did. Of course he obliged his curiosity and announced once again ‘Mummy’s cracked the shits with me’. What amazes me is his accurate use of the phrase. Total in your face reminder that we have to watch what we say around the little ratbag, the obviously has radar hearing and a mind like a sponge.

In baby news, nothing much new to report today except that we are into double digits, YAY. Other than that burst into tears tonight because Brock took off with my glass of water and drank it all. No wonder I feel like I’m losing my mind.

No comments: